-mylittleredgirl [more info]
"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up." --Anne Lamott
Good things about today:
- OtherElizabeth emailed me back about getting together (and picked something that works for me).
- Entertaining email, and free french fries.
- Iron Man fanfic.
- Ian made me cranky, and Ari doesn't get home until about 6pm my time, and neither of the books I had in my bag were comfort reading, and I wasn't confident that SOM/WEST's magazine rack would be helpful either. But I remembered that Jason was working, so I went and asked for a hug. And being told so genuinely, "I'm glad you stopped by. It's good to see you. I would like to see you again soon," really really helped. And then I called Ari and walked on the bike path.
Ironically, after some distance, Ian's unflappably confident, "He'll call you when he gets out," was something I started returning to with comfort -- even though I still think, "Who are you to make such a definitive statement without letting me vocalize the potential complicating factors?" plus it was Not A Good Response At The Time regardless of whether it is a True Fact or not.
- After dinner at CAUMC, riffing off of a story Jess was telling and a broader discussion spun off from that, I told my story of getting chatted up by an Armenian guy. Everyone was way more creeped out by this than I was. I also opened the discussion of the Roberta Bondi excerpt we read, but clearly my post-dinner anecdote was the really salient portion of my contribution to the group this evening. [Affirmations] Sean affirmed my "
sarcastictongue-in-cheek clarity about your morals." Mike said: "I like your worldview." Meredith Affirmed that I "take everything in stride." Jess Affirmed my openness to chatting with random strangers.
- sweet_adelheid posted recently about dreamboards [Magpie Girl tag, explanation from Starshyne Productions]. I didn't think much about this for myself initially, but I've been thinking about it more recently, and I've been thinking of good images/phrases to put on mine, and I'm increasingly liking the idea of a dreamboard ("A dreamboard is a collection of words and images of something we want to manifest - of the focus that I want to bring to the month to come." --italics from Starshyne, regular font from Heidi). So thank you, Heidi. (Heh, nice full circle since you started looking at Magpie Girl blog because of me.)
- Carolyn and I had both thought to poke Jeremy about his going-away party this coming Saturday, and this evening he actually posted the details (like the address and the MBTA directions).
- I only snoozed my alarm once and I ate breakfast at home and brushed my teeth and went to the [gym] ~40min weight room (yeah, tired)
- I replied to a couple personal emails.
- I did my Rest and Bread writeup AND my "pro-blog" writeup of Pentecost.
- I proofread a document for Prof.D.
- I thought about what I could do so I wouldn't stew on being cranky and I focused on praying good things for people rather than rehashing why I was cranky, and I found concrete things that could comfort me.
- I read the chapter Ross had wanted me to read so we could discuss on Sunday.
- I didn't take the "safe" route in "what my challenge is this week" at CAUMC -- and I talked about the idea (from Sunday) of really thinking through why something scares me and Meredith said that was a really helpful idea.
- I walked home from CAUMC. (I had been taking rides home for a while, but I really don't want to be a person who gets rides home from that. I walk most everywhere, and I like that conception of myself being true.)
["anything that you're looking forward to, that means you're facing tomorrow with joy, not trepidation," as Ari says]
- Half day at work.
- Getting my hair cut.
- Dinner with Allie.