-mylittleredgirl [more info]
"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up." --Anne Lamott
Good things about today:
- chainkill was biking to work this morning but was ahead of schedule so walked with me for a bit. Talking about being straight, he said, "Guys don't have boobs, and hips, and soft cuddly bits. They're made of concrete and rage. How can you cuddle concrete and rage?"
- ASP did in fact get my subscription renewal. (I left a voicemail yesterday because my check still hadn't been cashed. The woman called me back this morning and apparently they just got it.)
- After I picked up my lunch around 1pm, I decided it was warm enough (weather.com says 70F) to eat outside, so I picked up a copy of Linda Babcock( and Sara Laschever)'s Women Don't Ask. I hadn't brought any of my own books to read ('cause all this week I haven't had any downtime except during work, during which time I've been reading on my computer) and I'd been sort of meaning to read her stuff since we flew her out this past fall. At first, I felt like, "Okay, I grasp your title thesis; why do I need to read the entire remainder of this book?" But the book actually has lots of interesting and thought-provoking stuff. And then I sat outside the library before CAUMC and read more.
- Like the first thing Meredith said to me after we sat down at dinner was to confirm that I hadn't been laid off. She is sneaky and inferred from the fact that my gchat status was "at work" :) But it honestly hadn't occurred to me that anyone would worry that I'd get laid off ('cause I hadn't been at all worried... and I've mentioned before my tendency to project, right?).
- Michelle Affirmed that I do the "support and validate" thing, which is so Smithie :)
- I only snoozed my alarm once and I ate breakfast at home and brushed my teeth and took out the recycling and went to the [gym] ~40min weight room
- I emailed Laura Ruth about my current round of complaints with Rest and Bread (and I actually crafted it it such that my "this isn't working for me, how about this?" came out really couched in love and generosity ... er, in contrast to my bullet list to CHPC).
["anything that you're looking forward to, that means you're facing tomorrow with joy, not trepidation," as Ari says]
- picking up books and booze from Amy