Edit: They recognized the two oldest alums in attendance -- one man and one woman, both Class of 1929, both age 99. There's also an (male) alum, Class of 1923, who will be 107 this July but was unable to make the trip from NYC.
[Also, the President of the HAA says "theerter" (for "theatre") like my mom does.]
THANK YOU, Drew Faust for correctly pronouncing J. K. Rowling's surname ("rolling").
From JKR's Commencement address:
- [Now I just have to take deep breaths] "and convince myself that I'm at the world's largest Gryffindor reunion."
- [Casting my mind back to the Commencement Address at my own graduation] "has helped me enormously, because I find I cannot recall a single word she said."
- "See, if all you remember in years ahead is the gay wizard joke, I've come out ahead of Baroness Mary Warnock."
- "There is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong discussion."
- [on poverty] "It is not an ennobling experience."
- "Failure taught me things about myself I would not have learned any other way."
- [The people I sat with at graduation have been my friends for life. They are my children's godparents...] "The people who have been kind enough not to sue me when I took their names for Death Eaters."