-mylittleredgirl [more info]
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares YHWH, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
Good things about today:
- I woke up before my alarm -- in a way that suggests I did in fact get enough sleep.
- Bible study (Luke 24:36-48) was just me and Jeff M.
We talked about, among other things, the fact that each of the Gospels emphasizes that the resurrected Christ was embodied. I commented that some of the creedal stuff (like the Trinity) feels to me kinda like it was made up later ... but "we believe in the resurrection of the body" is right there (okay, I thought but didn't say, "I suppose just because Jesus was bodily resurrected doesn't mean everyone else will be, but...") in the Gospels (which yes are later than Paul, but still).
He mentioned that the word "witnesses" in verse 48 ("You are witnesses of all this.") in the Greek is marteres (sp?), which he hadn't realized before. He commented (re: "martyrs" in the sense that we think of them) that for the early church, the most profound act of participation is deemed "witnessing." This got me thinking of e.g. weddings (importance of witnesses).
- Okay, so our Gospel reading today was Luke 24:44-53, which isn't super off-lectionary, and in her sermon, Molly mentioned that Luke describes 2 ascensions: one on Easter evening (today's reading) and one 40 days later in Acts -- which she used as a lead-in to talking about ascending as a thing we do over and over again (cf., "Noli me tangere, for I am still rising/ascending") ... so I felt better about extending today's pericope to include the (an) ascension.
- I learned new things in Jeff and Julie's presentation.
- Ordinations are kind of weird (this person is already doing all the things you're "authorizing" them to do!), but I'm glad I went. And I got communed with "The Cup of Hope" (I didn't know what to expect, honestly, so I was braced, and then relieved).
[Other notes: Bonus surprise Carrie Cheron ~solo. Nancy T. is a dynamic preacher.]
- ... I am glad that I found out before tomorrow that my tentative tomorrow-evening plans got canceled.
- Having someone to answer Buffy questions my brain fails me on :)
- attended church stuff
- sent some emails
["anything that you're looking forward to, that means you're facing tomorrow with joy, not trepidation," as Ari says]
- putting together my expense report to reimburse myself :)