Keith was liturgist, and his Assurance of Grace began with, "This is the Good News," and ended with, "We are a forgiven people. Amen." *Rest and Bread nostalgia!* Yeah, I think the radical queer church of my heart will have a time for Confession (in a way that somehow avoids as best as possible the self-loathing etc. baggage that many people have with that liturgical moment).
Jeff M. preached on The Life of Pi (and Daniel 3:13-18 -- part of the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; this is his first summer with us, and he said he asked people for advice on how to preach about a book, and the unanimous piece of advice was to not ruin the ending for people who hadn't read it ... so he said he wouldn't ruin the ending of the Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego story -- at which FCS-Ian and I looked at each other, because we read that entire story [and in fact the entire Book of Daniel] at morning prayer).
He talked about how pi (the number) is true & irrational -- that it is a true thing which is useful in life, but you can never fully define it, even if you spend your entire life engaging with it.
-mylittleredgirl [more info]
Thus says God to these bones: "I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am God." (Ezekiel 37:5-6, NRSV, alt.)
Good things about today:
- When Brita and Carolyn G. and I were walking around cute sidestreets, we saw a dentist office and Brita suggested (only half-joking) that Carolyn could go to that dentist -- apparently Carolyn's current dentist is kind of a misogynist.
I told her about Smiles By Rosie Family Dentistry and emailed her the DS_LJ post after I got home.
She emailed me back this morning: "Awesome! Thanks, Elizabeth! Now I can get my teeth cleaned without compromising my feminist values. :)"
- I don't have any personal investment in the impending Winter Soldier movie, but I enjoy seeing photosets on Tumblr that say "winter is coming" (despite not being into Game of Thrones at all myself).
- Pr. Lisa explained the episcopal election process/Jurisdictional Conference in a way that helped me understand the process better (though I was a bit "Rly?" re: the process once I'd had it laid out for me).
- Julia and I had ~3hr debrief (~2/3 of which was about church).
- adorable bb cosplayers (also, a tiny girl in a Spiderman mask)
- got to church ~early and helped fold+stuff bulletins
- bought milk
- sent a bunch of emails
- made lunch for tomorrow
- finally got caught up on making LJ posts from this week (sorry to everyone whose flists I flooded, again)
["anything that you're looking forward to, that means you're facing tomorrow with joy, not trepidation," as Ari says]
- I'd been feeling fine about going back to work until about sometime today -- but there are productivities I will enjoy working on; and work is air-conditioned (as is my home, don't get me wrong).