At some point my brain may explode.
Last night i finally got through all the articles my dad had sent me criticizing Michael Moore and Bowling for Columbine
. [I remembered seeing a blurb for something criticizing Michael Moore shortly before i saw Bowling for Columbine
, but i couldn’t remember what it was, so i asked my dad to look for me and he obliged and sent me lots of stuff: 1
, if anyone’s interested.] One of those
triggered a long blog comment series on gun control, which i actually read all of over the course of some days. One of these days i will put together a long essay discussing Michael Moore, Bowling for Columbine
, gun control, and Barry Glassner’s The Culture of Fear
I also continue to twitch every time anyone says/implies any of the following:
- Republicans are evil.
- Republicanism is evil.
- The Republicans stole the elections. (Because yes, we on the left know that we are right and everyone agrees with us, it’s just those nasty politicians tricking the common people.)
- The fact that the Republicans will control much of the U.S. government come January 2003 is a sign of the coming Apocalypse.
- The war against Iraq is only about oil.
- The war against Iraq is a ploy to distract the American populace from the economic crisis.
- No (morally correct) thinking person supports the war against Iraq.
- George W. Bush is a complete idiot.
- George W. Bush is the AntiChrist.
- John Ashcroft is the AntiChrist.
Any other ones?
Joe says this
is one of his favorite websites. The fact that they linked to this MAD magazine image
shouldn’t make me hate them, right? Maybe i’m just twitchy, but this interview
doesn’t make me like Michael Moore. Neither did this one
, though he does say some interesting and intelligent things in the second page
. Daddy, i thought of you when i saw madman in power: Mugabe 'holding back food to keep grip on power'
in their list of news links.
I would like to state, as i do with some frequency, that i am so glad that i have the father i do, especially when i find myself surrounded by uber-leftists.
I really should find a succinct and reader-friendly description of the basic platform of the Republican, Democratic, and Green parties.
My friend Jonah said when he went to the Ani concert people were selling t-shirts that said “Ani for President” and he wanted one. I could never vote for Ani for President. Not only do i not agree with everything she says, but i don’t think she knows much of anything about foreign policy or about economics, which is fine for being a folk singer, even an often issue-oriented folk singer, but unacceptable in a President. (Yes, welcome to my world, where if the answer is easy that surely means i haven’t thought about it sufficiently.) I do really like the "kerplooey" shirt
-- "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 and kerplooey you're done / you're done for / you're done for good / so tell me, did you? / did you do - did you do all you could?"