"Guide my feet, while I run this race - for I don't want to run this race in vain"
Singing that to myself at work has been really good. Besides the fact that having anything
I can use quasi-meditatively as background throughout my day (and which shifts my focus in a positive way), I like the layers -- the plea for guidance, and with that, the reminder that we need
guidance; and the reminder that what we are doing is not done in vain. I think it's been really good for me.
I've been feeling somewhat indifferent to the snow for some days now, but walking around campus today doing errands (yay getting to go outside multiple times as the temps hovered around/below freezing, not bothering to put my hoodie on over my button-down shirt), it really is quite picturesque.
Around lunchtime, MikeS was saying something about Pirate's Booty (popcorn), and Laura asked for some and he said he'd eaten it all so there wasn't any for her. He turned to me and said, "You can't have any either." I said, "That's okay; I can get booty on my own time."
"Joy Sadhana is a daily practice in the observation of joy."
-mylittleredgirl [more info]Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine
-"You Are Mine" (David Haas)
Five good things about today:
1. Thursday's job candidate (yes, still/again).
2. I also approve of today's job candidate.
3. Geeking out with ladyvivien
's friend (via email).
4. We have the best junior faculty ever :) (Rich asked me if I was going to go bring back the leftover food from the seminar, said "Greg already brought back the cookies," and then noted, "Ian's bringing back trays.")
5. I has a bff whom I can tell all about the various goings-on in my day/life and all about the various beloveds I am concerned about, and she listens sympathetically -- and has all the backstory to understand the resonances. (I also has a mommy I will see on Friday and Saturday.)
Three things I did well today:
1. I went to the ( gymCollapse )
2. Despite feeling like I'm still stuck in a rut of merely managing to be competent (as opposed to being a rockstar), I did have the proactive forethought to go over to the seminar room early to check on catering and tech (and I have Media Services' phone number memorized -- and the tec was this small young woman with almost spikey [short, kinda curly] hair).
3. I made a friend cry (so he said, anyway -- we were on the phone). Yes, when I make generous offers I mean them seriously. [Bonus: I figured out the logistics to make the follow-through on that accepted offer work. Bonus2: From conversation with the bff, I generated an entertaining (to us) facebook status.]
4. I went to Sears and went clothes shopping and didn't die (I actually could have kept going a bit longer, but I really had to go to the bathroom plus I needed to get other things done with my night as well) and found some shirts for myself (the initial purpose was to find stuff for my grandma, but since I was there I browsed clothes for myself since I am perpetually wearing the same few items), and on the way home I picked up some groceries.
Two things I am looking forward to (doing [better]) tomorrow:["anything that you're looking forward to, that means you're facing tomorrow with joy, not trepidation," as Ari says]
1. Rest and Bread service.
2. The potluck party portion of tomorrow's class should actually be enjoyable.