// Thou Who hast brought us thus far on the way //
CHPC: Scripture readings were Psalm 62:5-12 and Jonah 3:1-10. LizL gave the sermon. She talked about what a reluctant prophet Jonah is -- in the part we read, he only walked one third of the way through the city and he just says, "Forty days and Nineveh will be destroyed" (nothing about justice or the poor or anything). She said she thinks the real hero of the story is the Ninevites. They hear this prophecy and they believe.
I stuck around through coffee hour, and I ended up chatting with Rachel and LizL and we went out for lunch at Rosebud, which I had never been to before. We ordered a Greek mega-omelete and an order of French toast, and split it all between the three of us. Good stuff. (For my reference -- recurring jokes: "let's overshare in an uncomfortably gay way" and "we're just preparing you for the ministry.") It was a really enjoyable and comfortable time together, which was a really pleasant surprise.
CWM: Scripture readings were 1 Corinthians 7:29-31 and Mark 1:14-20.
Tiffany quoted from MLK's "I Have Been to the Mountaintop" speech and talked about about kairos time versus chronos time.
She said that the Corinthians passage says "kairos time has grown short" and in Mark, the first thing Jesus is reported as saying after his baptism is, "The kairos has come, and the kin-dom of God has come near. Repent and believe." She talked about being a slave to the status quo and how repentance is about changing the future -- the Hebrew literally means "to turn around."
***"Joy Sadhana is a daily practice in the observation of joy."
-mylittleredgirl [more info]Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine
-"You Are Mine" (David Haas)
Five good things about today:
1. Lunch with LizL and Rachel.
2. At CWM during Prayers of the People I was sniffling when I had my head down, and Marla reached over and rubbed my back and like mouthed, "Are you okay?" I mouthed back something like, "Thank you, I'm just sick," and she left her hand on my back for the remainder of the prayer time. Passing of the Peace was next, and I thanked her. She said she'd looked over and wondered if I was crying or what, and I said I was just congested but that I really appreciated the thought.
3. Phone call with Ari.
4. L. called me. I'm not entirely sure this belongs here, because she's had a rough weekend, and lots of what she said reaffirmed my assessment that she's clinically depressed (may just be situational depression, but still), but I'm glad that she felt like she could call me, and I think I was able to help at least a little bit. [Edit: Oh, and she's deciding on which extension school classes to shop this week, and one class is Wednesday night the later time block, and she said she could do that last semester because I was in the class, but she couldn't count on that happening again this semester. *warm fuzzies* ]
5. CWM dinner was tons of leftovers from some function at Dan's work and I had mashed potatoes and some rice+beans+veggie dish.
Three things I did well today:
1. I stayed through coffee hour at CHPC.
2. I asked someone to double-count the offertory with me after CWM. (I've officially taken over Thi's position.)
3. I dug out my remaining receipts from SF so I can submit my expense report tomorrow.
Two things I am looking forward to (doing [better]) tomorrow:["anything that you're looking forward to, that means you're facing tomorrow with joy, not trepidation," as Ari says]
1. Submitting my SF expense report, so I can get my money back.
2. Catching up on LJ.