- "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it." [I add: "Life's not a song. Life isn't bliss. Life is just this: it's living. You'll get along. The pain that you feel you only can heal by living. You have to go on living."]
- You can't get rid of something that's inside you. All you can do is accept it, and make it work to your advantage.
- You can't wait for someone to wake up and smell the hottie. Be confident and go for what you want -- it's the only way you'll ever get it.
- "Risk the pain. Love, give, forgive. It is your nature."
- It can take years for us to become who we are, or it can take one single night to change us forever. There is no set time for becoming. [I add: "There's moments in your life that make you, that set the course of who you're gonna be. Sometimes they're little, subtle moments, sometimes they're not. I'll show you what I mean. Bottom line is even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments. No one asked for their life to change, not really, but it does. So what are we? Helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are." - Whistler, "Becoming Part I"]
- You cannot run away from what you are, because it will always catch up with you in the end.
- Sometimes, love can't overcome all boundaries and barriers, and you have to let it go for the sake of the other person. But you can't ever expect that person to live the kind of life you wanted them to have, because once you give them away, they're just... gone.
- Sometimes, it's not about love. It's just about sex. And if you're in it for the love, then nothing hurts more than the morning after.
- Beer bad.
- Temptation is a terrible thing, and if you give into your wilder sides, you often end up hurting the people you love.
- You can't just make the pain go "poof." You have to work through it, and it's hard, and it takes time. It's kind of why they call it "pain".
- Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.
- Life is not always what it seems, and your illusions can be shattered in an instant.
- Sometimes, the person you think you hate the most is actually the person you most admire.
- You can't fool the world into thinking that you're cool. We're all superstars in our own ways.
- It's always hard to accept your lover's past mistakes, but you have to remember -- it's all in the past.
- Growing up sometimes means growing apart, and that's natural. But there are some friendships you can hold onto forever, and when you find that, never let it go.
- "You think you know. What you are. What's to come. You haven't even begun."
- Dreams often hold the key to our waking fears.
- There are darker sides to all of us, and the only way to defeat it is to understand it.
- You can't just get rid of the parts of yourself that you don't like, because they make you who you are. And sometimes, what you have inside of yourself can surprise you.
- Nothing hurts worse than loving someone who can never love you back.
- Family is family. It doesn't matter how they got there, or by what means they came to be yours. Once they're yours, they're yours forever. Also, family is much, much more than just blood.
- The dance is never over, and everyone has a death wish.
- You can try to hide who you used to be. You can try to create an entirely different person to replace what you once were, but the truth of the matter is, that's who you will always be.
- Sometimes, love just ain't enough.
- You're never really out of the woods.
- It doesn't matter how you got here, because here you are, and all that matters is what you do with the life you have.
- Death can come at any given moment. It's impossible to understand death. Death is always sudden. Sometimes, death just happens. There's no one to blame for it, and no way to exact revenge for it. And often times, that's the most difficult kind of death. Death is permanent, and should be permanent.
- Weird love is better than no love.
- Never underestimate the love of a monster, because sometimes, that love is anything but monstrous.
- You cannot replace a person, or substitute machinery and wires for flesh and blood. But sometimes, a person gets so starved for love that they can't tell the difference.
- Loyalty hurts.
- When someone hurts the one you love, you will pay any price for vengeance -- even if that price is your life.
- It just keeps coming.
- Never give up. Even when the end is near, and everything feels hopeless, never, ever give up. [I add: "No weapons, no friends, no hope. Take all that away and what's left?" "Me."]
- It always has to be blood.
- Sometimes, death can be a gift.
- Never forget the laws of the world, because there will always be consequences for manipulating the order of things -- and the worst part is, the person you love the most will often have to pay the price for your mistakes.
- You have to let go.
- For those who have always been powerless, finally finding power can be an addictive, heady experience.
- It's always hard trying to fit into the world.
- This world is sharp, and bright, and harsh -- but it's our world.
- You cannot control the ones you love, and you cannot force them into loving you. Not through magic, not through force, not through sheer desire. All you can do is love them back, and pray that they stay with you.
- Sometimes, you have to leave -- even if it kills you to do so.
- You can't always be right.
- Sometimes, you get so desperate for love that you'll take it no matter how you get it -- even if it kills you in the process.
- The world around us may shape our personalities, but if you forget who you are, you're still you.
- You can hate yourself so much that it kills the people who love you.
- It is possible to die of love.
- You have to take everything one step at a time -- and those steps hurt.
- There are times when you don't think you deserve to be forgiven -- but everyone deserves forgiveness. [I edit: "To forgive is an act of compassion, Buffy. It's, it's not done because people deserve it. It's done because they need it." -Giles, "I Only Have Eyes For You"]
- No matter what you do, or who you do, it cannot change who or what you are.
- Love is a destructive force, especially when it is unrequited.
- Vengeance isn't always the answer.
- A normal life isn't all it's cracked up to be.
- Secrets kill.
- Never kill the lesbian.
- If you blur the lines between love and sex, don't be surprised when someone unwittingly crosses that line.
- You cannot make someone love you through sex. And sometimes, you can make a person hate you through it, instead.
- If you don't like the lot life has handed you, you can always, always change your fate. Even when it seems impossible.
- Vengeance solves nothing, and murder only causes more grief.
- The world is a difficult, often terrible place. But it is our world, and sometimes, when you least expect it, it can be beautiful.
- You can change your fate to learn who you are, but sometimes, you might not like the answers you receive.
- Guilt is maddening.
- Once something is inside you, it is permanent, and it will never go away.
- Mercy is a beautiful thing.
- Sometimes, you never realize the gravity of your own sins until it is too late.
- Sometimes, when you try to give someone what they deserve, you only come to the realization that you will never be worthy of them.
- "Can we rest now?"
- A spark can oftentimes start an inferno, and when it does, absolutely everything burns.
- You can't put the past behind you, because it will always come back to get you.
- Help those around you, even those you cannot stand.
- Once we become who we are, we can never go back to what we were.
- We all die alone.
- Even the love you think isn't real oftentimes really does exist -- and nothing hurts more than realizing that after it's too late.
- Sometimes, all we need is a little tenderness.
- You can learn your best lessons from your worst enemy.
- Giving someone just a little bit of faith can save their lives.
- We are all made of potential.
- Sometimes, war is the only answer.
- We always punish ourselves the hardest.
- In order to save the world, you have to connect with it, first.
- Real love transcends sex.
- You can find faith in the strangest places.
- Believe in yourself, and you can do great things.
- Don't let someone choose for you. Make your own choice.
- There is nothing more beautiful than the sight of a brand new day.
BUFFY: Nothing's ever simple anymore. I'm constantly trying to work it out. Who to love or hate. Who to trust. It's just, like, the more I know, the more confused I get.jidabug adds: Don't ignore people because they'll go invisible and turn evil. Corollary: If people ignore you and you go invisible and turn evil, don't feel bad 'cause some covert government agency will train you to be an assassin.
GILES: I believe that's called growing up.
BUFFY: I'd like to stop then, okay?
GILES: I know the feeling.
BUFFY: Does it ever get easy?
GILES: You mean life?
BUFFY: Yeah. Does it get easy?
GILES: What do you want me to say?
BUFFY: Lie to me.
GILES: Yes, it's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after.
-"Lie to Me"
-don't just sit there, get the fire back.
-read books, and remember them.
-don't make assumptions about other people's home lives
-watch out for the morally ambiguous ones, they'll surprise you
-"You should never be cowed by authoriy."
-our choices make us, and their consequences teach us.
-a real geek can find anything on the internet, even magic.
-speeches should be well timed and customized to fit your audience, or all is lost.
-all you need is love, and you can save the world.
-it's human to pine for the ones that leave, but don't dismiss the ones who stay.