I still got a good amount of packing/culling/reorganizing done, though.
As usual, despite all the culling (which is definitely not finished, btw) I still have way too many boxes. 7x11 shouldn't be that much smaller than 9x12, but my spatial sense is defective plus I boggle that all this stuff fit in my current 9x12, so I'm still with the worrying.
I did call the landlord. (Voicemail, natch.) OriginalRoomie said he hadn't been by to fix the windows yet. Sigh.
My parents came back from NH and we went to Friendly's for dinner tonight. I ordered my usual -- the mushroom+swiss+bacon colossal burger with Gardenburger and (duh) without the bacon.
watress (handing us our food): "I told them no bacon, and then they took the bacon off. Is that okay?"
me: "Yeah, that's okay."
my mom: "And Elizabeth's feeling gracious -- to the shock of her mother."
me: "I've grown as a person."
I generally insist that no meat touch my food (or utensils that are used on my food) but I'm more relaxed about it when eating out.
It occurred to me only later that there's almost no way I would have known about the bacon just from eating it (unless I have a physiological reaction against it -- is that even possible with bacon?) and that was really wonderful of her to ask me about it.
free to good home, part two
let's go down to the east riverSeriously, anything you want, just let me know. No charge. This is all going to Goodwill.
and throw something in
something we can't live without
and then let's start again
Next year, why not vacation in the millions of worlds of a used book store?
- assorted magnets
a waist is a terrible thing to mind
- more fun / less stuff
- Live simply that others may simply live.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes. That Was Then, This is Now (S. E. Hinton, 1971)
- The Black Stallion (Walter Farley)
- Bridge to Terabithia (Katherine Paterson, 1977)
- The Summer of the Swans (Betsy Byars, 1970)
- Out of the Ordinary (Annie Dalton, 1988) sff
- Pigs Don't Fly (Mary Brown, 1994) [ex-library] sff
- Behind the Bedroom Wall (Laura E. Williams, 1996) Holocaust
- Beyond the Divide (Kathryn Lasky, 1983) Amish, Gold Rush, etc.
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
- Old Yeller (Fred Gipson)
- Heidi (Johanna Spyri)
- Bright Days, Stupid Nights (Norma Foz Mazer and Harry Mazer, 1992)
- Belonging (Virginia M. Scott, 1986)
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
- Ludie's Song (Dirlie Herlihy, 1988)
- Friends First (Christine McDonnell, 1990)
- Lassie Come-Home (Eric Knight)
Jack and Jill (Louisa May Alcott) Space and Science-Fiction Plays for Young People (ed. Sylvia E. Kamerman, 1981) [ex-library]
- Heidi Grows Up (Charles Tritten)
The Trumpet of the Swan (E. B. White)
- Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Anne Rice writing as A.N. Roquelaure, 1983)
- Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)
- The Face on the Wall (Jane Langton, 1998)
- A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
- A Dog Called Bethlehem (Sam Morse-Brown, 1978)
- An Anthology of Spanish American Literature (1946)
Slayer: An Unofficial and Unauthorized Guide to Every Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Keith Topping, 2001) [softcover]
- When God Was a Woman (Merlin Stone, 1976) [softcover]
- Touched by an Angel (Martha Williamson and Robin Sheets, 1997) [hardcover] tv show
- What Can I Do To Make a Difference?: A Positive Action Sourcebook (Richard Zimmerman, 1991) [softcover, ex-library]
- The Roald Dahl Quiz Book (Richard Maher & Sylvia Bond, 1994) [softcover]
- God's Precious Love (Joni Eareckson Tada, 1990) [hardcover]
- Almost a Woman (Esmeralda Santiago, 1998)
Woman of Independence: The Life of Abigail Adams (Susan Provost Beller, 1992) The Road from Corain (Jill Ker Conway, 1989)
- Are You Somebody? (Nuala O'Faolain, 1996)
- Growing Up Native American (ed. Patricia Riley, 1992)
The Story of Helen Keller (Lorene A. Hickok, 1958) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
- The Young Person's Guide to Becoming a Writer (Janet E. Grant, 1995) [softcover]
- The Writer's Handbook (Allan B. Lefcowitz, 1976) [hardcover, ex-library]
- Dreams and Inward Journeys: A Reader for Writers (Marjorie Ford and Jon Ford, 1990) [softcover]
- The St. Martin's Guide to Writing (Rise B. Axelrod and Charles R. Cooper, 1988) [softcover]
- Writing the Natural Way: Using Right-Brain Techniques to Release Your Expressive Powers (Gabriele Lusser Rico, 1983) [softcover]
- Pain and Possibility: Writing Your Way Through Personal Crisis (Gabriele Rico, 1991) [softcover]
The Light and Shadow Tarot The Pictorial Key to the Tarot (Arthur Edward Waite, 2000) [softcover] A Complete Guide to the Tarot (Eden Gray, 1970) [hardcover]
- Anne of Green Gables (2 copies)
- Anne of Avonlea
Anne of The Island
- Jane of Lantern Hill
And left over from the last time:
- Hey, Dollface (Deborah Hautzig, 1978)
- The Only Alien on the Planet (Kristen D. Randle, 1995)
- Letters from the Inside (John Marsden, 1991)
The Pistachio Prescription (Paula Danziger, 1978)
- After the Rain (Norma Fox Mazer, 1987)
- Missing Pieces (Norma Fox Mazer, 1995)
Wise Child (Monica Furlong, 1987)on hold for gishmi1ish (sorry I completely forgot about it last time you visited)
- The Eternal Enemy (Christopher Pike, 1993)
- Saturday, the Twelfth of October (Norma Fox Mazer, 1975)
- Remembering The Good Times (Richard Peck, 1985)
- Daughter of God (Lewis Perdue, 2000)
Il Postino (The Postman) (1995)